Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Don't Think It's a Stunt

Right after I posted "I'm So Tired" I clicked on Drudge Report and saw the headline about McCain suspending his campaign until a bipartisan agreement is reached on the bail out legislation.

I know, I know, you think me naive and stupid, but I don't think this is a stunt. I think it's McCain being McCain, and I think it's the right thing do to.

Fact is, what happens this week or next will have more far reaching consequences on the American people and the American way of life than whoever wins the election. This matter, simply put, is more important. I applaud McCain, and I hope Obama joins him. They will get to debate plenty enough in due time.

I understand Obama's supporters taking this as a stunt and it does not bother me that he does. The way things are I would be wary too. I just don't think it is. The President's proposal is dead in the water. This is time for a a bipartisan compromise where each side sacrifices some of its principles and where each side gets some of what it wants.

McCain says...

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.


I think it is a good idea. Give Obama the election for all I care. This is simply massively significant and important, more so even than the election.

1 comment:

Brenda Bowers said...

you're right Joel. this is McCain being McCain. Any one who has any knowledge at all about his past actions will understand this.

You know this may cost Obama with his reactions to McCain. last night I was visiting with a neighbor who has been really big on Obama and after his statement about getting on with "debating the issues" was so angry I think she just changed her vote. Her words,"Now he wants to debate the issues when the biggest issue right now is being debated in the Senate not on the campaign trail." BB