Pages

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Hopkins or Woodward - Reflection on a Week of Controversy

It's a beautiful day outside, and I can't wait to go out for a long walk and see what new signs of Spring have erupted all around me. I was very happy the other day to see catkins on the the alder bushes down by Lake Jeanette growing longer and opening up. And then I got to stop and watch two bluebirds working on a nest.

I confess I have an activist and fiery journalist lurking down inside me, but I am more Gerard Manley Hopkins than Bob Woodward. I think I would have been a good lawyer, but I decided when I was twenty that I did not want to spend my life arguing

Sometimes I get riled up, and the journalistic/activistic juices flow. I know when that happens that I am inclined toward hyperbole, and I may end up doing unto someone in the same way he or she has, in my view, unjustly done unto another. There are, to me, real justice issues at stake here, very small town/local as this matter may seem, and I wish to stand on the side of those whose character I believe has been unjustly besmirched. I just can't do my own besmirching in the process.

I have written much this week about the MRSA case at SE High School and how it was reported. When I originally e-mailed John Robinson at the News and Record, he had the reporter give me a call. That call really dismayed me. I believe that journalists need to set a higher bar of "due diligence" when people's good names and reputations are at stake. I feel very passionately about that, and I do strongly believe that in this case there was not proper care taken for the reputation and integrity of some very fine people. I also believe that there was a very very important back story that should have been investigated before claims of such terrible and woeful negligence were made. I know the folks at the N&R think that amounts to letting a story die. I think it just means slowing down the process until one is sure.

I really can't say any more on the subject, which kind of stinks, but in time, the full story will come out and will be available to everyone, and then they can make a judgment. I would ask those who read the N&R articles to withhold judgment until that happens, and it may take a while. Do not let these claims buried in your mind and memory cause you to distrust a highly respected school principal, a 35 year veteran of teaching and long standing coach held in high esteem. A man's reputation can be destroyed by reckless words and personal claims which cannot be refuted due to privacy issues.

As for myself, I want to go back to being GM Hopkins instead of Bob Woodward. That is where my heart lies.

Whereas I do believe that our paper erred, and erred in a way that put a cloud over the names of good and decent people, in my own passion to address the issue I spoke in the way that, well, I can speak when I am juiced up. As I said before, I think the Scriptures call me to guard and protect my neighbor's reputation. And that includes the reputation of John Robinson and Ryan Seals and the others who have worked on or commented on this story. I don't believe that this matter reflects their best work, but I can say that about every third or fourth sermon I deliver.

I am sorry for the hyperbolic language that I used for the reporter, the paper, and for Mr. Robinson. I don't know the reporter, and I don't really know Mr. Robinson, but in my interactions with him to date he has always acted with patience and kindness toward me. I don't like the firebrand version of me.

I really do believe that deeper reflection is needed in journalism as to how better to safeguard the reputation of our neighbors. This bothers me in politics, in radio talk show, on the nightly news - pretty much across the board.

Since I cannot go any further than I have gone anyway with this story due to privacy issues and legal counsel, I will let it rest for now. Residual comments I will deal with as seems best at the time.

I don't want the fact that I have little stomach for public controversy to keep me from writing, so I hope to go back to trying to build up rather than tear down. Well, except I will continue to defend historic orthodox Christianity from ignorant accusations and misinformation, just to keep the playing field level, so to speak.

I say that, and then the memo comes into my mind, and I get fired up again....No, others can handle that matter better than I can, and in that mater I stand with the News and Record over against the city.

In fact, this is where hard driving journalism has its most significant role, in keeping the government honest, or trying to anyway.

All for now.

No comments: