Pages

Monday, February 04, 2008

Best Play Ever

Forget "The Catch." Forget "The Immaculate Reception." Last night's fourth quarter pass and catch between Eli Manning and David Tyree ranks as the single most amazing, game-changing, unlikely, and fantastic play I have witnessed in 40 years of watching professional football. I mean, Manning should have gone down. It should have been a sack. But he pulled away from grasping and tugging arms, swung out of the pocket to throw an off balance 30 yard pass to David Tyree, who at full extension and with a Patriot defender all over him, caught the ball with the tips of his fingers, trapped it against his helmet, and then pulled it into his arms as he fell backwards, his body bent back over the defender underneath him. It was simply amazing, the stuff of which football legends are made. I suppose we will get to enjoy it in "best of" football stories for the rest of my life. I feel for New England, the perfect season thing gone, but I was a rootin' for the Giants and Eli. What a game!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Greatest play I've ever seen in my life..

Joe Guarino said...

I had just told my family that the Giants needed a big play at that point. They got it.