I believe in the reality and significance of relationships with animals, and thus the very real grief we experience when they leave us. I've never taken this lightly, for myself, or for others, nor as a pastor. Anyway, I wrapped Oxford in plastic bags, and when Anna came home I broke the news to her, and let her pet Oxford and say goodbye. We brought Corduroy over and let him sniff and look at Oxford's body too. He was obviously very depressed for a week or two. We then had a ceremony and buried Oxford in the back yard. Well, the grief was so bad that three to four days into it we decided we just had to get Madeline another kitten to try to get her mind off it. So, we went to the Cat Clinic, and wouldn't you know it, someone had just found an abandoned litter of kittens and given the whole litter to the Cat Clinic to give away. So, we ended up getting two new kittens - Boots the small gray female, and Socks the larger black male. We decided they would be inside cats. They are about three years old now and they still run around the house wrestling and playing, especially late at night. They are mischievous and fun, just as cats are supposed to be. When they wrestle, it's always Socks who cries uncle, even though he is twice the size of Boots. He is a wimp. But he is so affectionate; he loves to have his coat brushed; he begs for attention; he is very sweet. Boots is sweet too, and follows Madeline around kind of like Oxford did. I love this picture of Socks, taken with a cheap digital camera. It just exudes his "Socks-ness."
For more pictures of our felines along the way, look here.
Joel
PS On the way to work today I stopped for a foot long snapper crossing Regents Park Lane. I got out and moved him. It's hard to know where turtles are wanting to go, and you hate to disorient them, but I put him close to a nearby creek. Well, as a reward I got doused with turtle pee. I say turtle pee. I wonder if turtles "store" water within the spaces under their shell to keep them moist when they are on land. Does anybody know?
6 comments:
Hee hee hee. You said turtle pee.
According to my son Andy, (the reptile lover and poo expert), reptiles don't pee. Their poo and pee is combined, like birds' poo and pee is.
Maybe the turtle barfed.
Well, whatever it was it came out of the back end, and it ended up all over my pants legs and shoes. My daughter told me that there were unpleasant pathogens/microbes in turtle pee/poop (poopee?). I didn't know. We'll see if I get some disease.
well, maybe they do pee... I found a few sites discussing turtle urine.
But yeah, I've heard their poopee or whatever is very germy.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/faq.html
I do believe that turtles pee. I'm just a random person who happened to google turtle pee since when I was going to move a turtle off the road it peed (I think it was all pee since it soaked right down in to the dirt road). I believe I'll check on Wikipedia, not that you can really believe that but what the heck...
I believe that turtles carry a water supply in their bladders, so yes, it is pee, but it's also water that they can absorb into their system as they need it. If they spray, you should put them down near water, if possible, so they can replenish themselves.
Post a Comment