When I was in college, like almost everybody else, when Spring term was over I went right home and started working. One year I drove a truck, another year I worked construction, another year I did landscaping. So I was able to put away some money for the next school year and ease the burden of student loans. But, I always rewarded myself with a trip. After my freshman year a friend and I did a two week camping, hiking, and driving New England tour. After my second year, four of us did a seven day bicycle tour through SC before our jobs started, and then, at the end of that summer five of us went on another New England tour, including New York City and Quebec. Here is a picture of the five of us just before we climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Don't you just dig the hats - and the socks! Get out of town! Here's the caption I have written under the picture itself on the Flickr site:
Joel, Calvin, Skip, Matt, and Bill. In the summer of 1977 we took a two week escursion to New England in two cars barely able to make the trip. We were all from Columbia but mostly attending different colleges. I have not seen Skip, the guy in the middle, since then. Matt, the very handsome figure sitting highest, died a few years ago of a stroke. He was a great guy, and father, and husband, and really funny. We miss him. Calvin and Bill are brothers. Calvin was my best friend in high school and Bill and I roomed for one year at Clemson. The highlight of the trip was one night driving through the night from Quebec to Bar Harbor and having to stop for an enormous moose in the road who just stood and stared at us for the longest time before he moved. He was HUGE. And yes, we did climb Mount Washington, and I have the tee shirt to prove it! Took this with my Fujica on auto shutter - I am the one on the left.
Please feel to explore my photostream here.
Joel
No comments:
Post a Comment