Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Photo of the Day - May 9, 2007 - Me and Aunt Evelyn

Yesterday I received some very sad news. My cousin Susan from LaGrange Georgia called to tell me that her mom, my Great-Aunt Evelyn, had died. The picture above was taken of me and Aunt Evelyn last summer, when my daughter Laurel and I visited Evelyn and her daughters and grandchildren in LaGrange Georgia on the way to Texas. Evelyn was the youngest sister of my grandmother "Nanny" (my dad's mother). I have many many pictures of Nanny on my Flickr site, and quite a few of Evelyn. Indeed, Evelyn was the last of Nanny's siblings. She hung in a long time. I had all but forgotten Aunt Evelyn until a few years ago. In fact, I had no idea she was still alive. But my siblings and I inherited a huge footlocker full of pictures from Nanny, which started me on a quest to figure out who was whom. In the process, using the internet and people search, I have managed to track down almost all of my extended family members who are still living. I took the footlocker of pictures down to LaGrange two years ago after I first found out Evelyn was still living. She helped me identify many of the people in the pictures - mostly on the "Andrews side." Aunt Evelyn was one of the sweetest and kind-spirited people I have known. It brought me great joy to rediscover her after all these years. Last time I saw her, when I left, I gave her a big hug and said "I love my Aunt Evelyn." And she said "I love my Joel." That trip last summer was the last time I was to see two dear family members - my Aunt Carolyn on my mother's side in Texas, and my Aunt Evelyn on my father's side in LaGrange. I am so glad I took the time and made the trip. I have one remaining blood aunt/uncle on either side left - my Uncle Karl in Sherman, Texas. I hope to see him this summer. Evelyn, I will miss you. Thanks for brightening my life with your sweet letters and kindness toward me these last two years.

Please feel free to explore my photostream here.

Joel

No comments: