Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Shimmering Autumn Reflections

So, I came home about 11:30 or so and walked into the kitchen. The kitchen has a north facing window, and the sun of course is a little east of south by 11:30Am, thus on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen window. Our kitchen is sort of L shaped (or better, upside down L shaped). I walked through the dark kitchen (the long part of the upside down L) toward the window and took the "L" to the right, I immediately noticed light shimmering on the cabinets to my right, AND also my shadow in that light. The light had that glowing quality it often has at sunset.

That's strange, I thought. So I looked out the window thinking maybe the sun was reflecting off my car in the driveway, but it wasn't that. The large yellow-orange maple across the cul de sac was afire in the glow of the sun, and the reflection was off the maple tree itself, off the leaves, and the shimmering was due to the breeze giving motion to the maple limbs. The reflection was so bright I could see the shadow of each of my fingers on the cabinet

I stood there in the moment realizing it was unusual and special, and then it was gone. The sun had moved just enough to change the angle of reflection, and the kitchen was dark again, and the shadow no more. It was a special moment. I am glad I wasn't too preoccupied not to notice.

No comments: