Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Fall Gardening

Well, another trip around the sun, and it’s almost October again. Have you ever thought how dull life would be if our earth did not tilt on its axis as it flew through the solar system? Well, maybe that’s not what your mind is on today. But because of that simple fact we are blessed with four diverse seasons. And now it’s fall. Ahhh.

School projects are piling high. Work is frantic. Football games beckon Saturdays and Sundays. But the fall is one of the nicest times of all to go outside and get your hands dirty – yes, it’s a great gardening season!

There is something mellow and calm in cleaning up the debris from this summer’s garden. And there is something fun and anticipatory about thinking about next year’s garden. That’s what fall provides for the gardener – closure for one season and planning (and planting) for the next.

First off there is the lawn. So how did yours do this year? You likely have some bare or thin spots here or there, and perhaps some areas where crabgrass or weeds took over. Did you cut your grass too short? So many do, and that just hinders these fescues and gives more space for the weeds and creeping grasses Be careful not to do that next season.

But for now, it is time for cutting the grass shorter as you plan for Spring. Yes, it’s time to cut, aerate, over seed, fertilize (with a slow release fertilizer), and lime your lawn. I say lime because most of the soils around here are acidic. But you can always have your soil tested to make sure. But go ahead and put out that seed now – this weekend – if you have not already. It’s good to let that seed get sprouted and set before you blow or rake the leaves later on. You don’t want to blow your seeds away too! Winter is an important growing season for lawn grasses. Those teeny grass seedling roots will grow right through the cold season, digging their little roots down into the soil, and then one warm day, maybe in late February or early March, your yard will explode in a wave of green. And you will smile.

Second, you may have some cleaning up to do. Because our heavy clay soil holds moisture so well, and our winters can be pretty wet, we always have to do battle with fungal diseases. So it is best to clean up old plant stalks and cart them off to the compost heap. Some perennials like peonies and butterfly bushes need to be cut way back, others just need a trim. Consult your garden book for specifics.

Third, while you are at it, find a space for composting leaves and a few late season grass clippings. One good way to get a head start on composting leaves is just to run your mower over small piles of them. Collect them in the bag or let them fall back to the ground, and then pile them in an out of the way space. You may wish to sprinkle a little nitrogen fertilizer over every three or four inches just to aid in the composting process. Just a little. Turn it all a couple of times over the winter and by March or April that pile should be well broken down and ready for using in your beds.

Fourth, fall is time to plant, but first drop the “t.” Plan first, plant second. I like to add one new flower or herd bed, and have at least one new garden adventure each season – just enough planning and planting to make each season new. Year after year this adds up to a great garden! Remember, gardening is a marathon, not a sprint! October all the way to early December provides a great time to plant shrubs, bulbs, and several perennials. Maybe you can just see in your mind a corner of daffodils brightening up your early spring. Plant a huge clump of them to get a brilliant show of yellow. Or maybe it’s time finally to that plant you’ve wanted to have– maybe that camellia that you remember from your grandmother’s garden. Well, this is shrub planting time! Your local nursery probably has or can get what you need, or you can order it on line.

Reflecting and anticipating – that’s what fall gardening is all about. No need to rush (except to reseed that lawn). Enjoy the cool air and the beauty to come.

If you need help we have an amazing extension office right here in Guilford County. You can call them at 375-5865, or just Google NC Extension, Guilford County Center. Or head on out and see what’s growing at their place on Burlington Road, which is just East Market extended out with a new name. The NC Extension is about 2-3 miles out of town on the left.

4 comments:

meblogin said...

Fall is such a wonderful time of year.

I am studying hydroponics so as to hopefully have fresh vegetables and berries year round.

...noticed a couple of ads on your site. Do you support the candidates shown? (madame hunter for example)
After reading her husbands comments for weeks over at Ed's ...whew....no way for me.

Great Post.

Joel Gillespie said...

meblogin,

Thanks for the comment. Good luck with the hydroponics. I've always thought that was pretty cool.

I have no idea about anybody advertising through Altemdia. I don't know who they are or what they stand for. I don't care about the revenues I may share either. I have just been trying to be a good citizen in the blogging world here by participating. Your question makes me wonder though. I don't have time or interest in studying the ads or the people running for whatever. If an ad strikes my fancy I might click on it. But the political ads don't interest me. I don't know who is whom. If there is going to be an assumption that I am for someone because of an ad running, I need to get out of the program.

Roch101 said...

I appreciate you running the ads, Joel. Selling ads for a single blog here and there is difficult. Giving advertisers a one-stop way of buying on multiple blogs that, in aggregate, deliver a large audience is helpful to everyone involved.

Some bloggers put a line of text below their ads that says something like this: "The advertisers on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the blogger and their presence does not constitute an endorsement."

Took your advice on the yard care, btw. Left Lowes this Saturday with bags and bags of lime, seed and fertalizer.

Joel Gillespie said...

Roch,

That sounds like a good solution. I’d rather run all the ads or none. I think that is the right spirit of participating, and your disclaimer note allows me to do that without all the questions – “So, Joel, you don’t support THEM do you”? I don’t want to have to study every person or every ad in detail, especially political ads for folks in districts in which I don’t even vote. I will see if I can get that suggested note put in along with moving the ads up higher on the page.