Pages

Friday, September 15, 2006

Hey, Can We have a Riot?

Good grief, if we had huge protests and riots every single time people cast aspersions on Jesus Christ and Christianity, like every third Hollywood movie, and most every statement coming from radical Islam, it would be non stop rioting around here. Muslims rebuke/deny/offend the Christian view of Jesus every day. Hey, we need to get over it. So they don't go for it. So they don't think Jesus died for our sins, rose from the dead, was God the Son. Fine. Jews aren't crazy about all that either. In fact the Jews of his day thought Jesus was either subversive, dangerous, blasphemous, or just plain nuts. I probably would have thought so too. But I don't see Jews waging holy war or wanting to wage Holy War against Christians. And I don't think they would if they could. Yes I am deeply sorry for what has happened in history in the reverse. I think the Pope's timing could have been better, but maybe, just maybe, 9/11 and the aftermath, including the bombings in Spain and England and the other foiled "let's blow-up-some-airplanes-and get-to-heaven" attempts, plus the announcement of Jihad over and over, gives the Pope a little more material to work with than his predecessor. If Muslims will not renounce the physical violence - the murderous aspects of Jihad, and renounce those who murder and kill non cambatants on purpose, and renounce the intense persecutions of converts to Judaism or Christianity all over the world, then what are we to say. Hey, this is great, why don't you come and blow up my city while you're at it; it's getting boring around here. It's a marketplace of ideas. A marketplace of beliefs. Muslims are good at arguing for their beliefs. Very good. That's fine. I wish them well. Just stop killing people who don't buy it OK. Time to see the civilized and mature Muslims stand up and put an end to this nonsense. People are going to criticize you, and your holy prophet, and your culture, just like they do mine. Hello! Deal with it. Peacefully. Maybe in the end it is a clash of civilizations. But I'd like it think it possible to have a world where folks can worship as they will, knowing that God, however understood, will work as He will. The best of Christianity, the best of Judaism, and the best of Islam calls for men to be men, as in gentlemen, and women gentlewomen, and all civil, civil men and women who are good and kind to their neighbors whatever they believe. That's what I think.

No comments: