Pages

Friday, September 08, 2006

The Physiological Error of Migraine

I was reading a review of Joan Didion’s new book Magical Thinking and came across these quotes, actually from an essay in an earlier work called The White Album wherein she reflects on the migraine headaches that have plagued her throughout her life. Reading this, well, it’s like what I wish I could say if I could really write…

“The physiological error called migraine is…central to the given of my life….The migraine has acted as a circuit breaker, and the fuses have emerged intact. There is a pleasant convalescent euphoria. I open the windows and feel the air, eat gratefully, sleep well. I notice the particular nature of a flower in a glass on the stair landing, I count my blessings.”

Wow. Is she me? No. A better me.

As to the physiological error, yes, that is what it is exactly, a neurological disorder in the brain. And as gruesome and agonizing and debilitating as a bad migraine can be, I’d rather have them than be subject to the hundred herbal cures and flip comments thrown my way.

Also, as to the physiological error, see my Cracked and Crumbling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, I just read "Cracked and Crumbling"------so true. I am however commenting here on your beginning statement that anyone who thinks God is talking to them needs to be on medication. At one time I would have agreed with you, but not now my friend, not now. Just because you have not heard Him or His emissary does not mean that he has not spoken to others. BB

Joel Gillespie said...

BB,

Perhaps ypou don't have in mind what I am refering to and I did not draw it out. I was refering to a comment made in a sermon, but it had a setting that didn;t coem through in my reference to it. Of course I believe that God speaks to people in different ways. I was talking about delusions of grandeur that lead some sick people to think that they have unique and special access to the mind of God, that the word they hear from God has authority over others, etc., you know, David Koresh type stuff.

Anonymous said...

Not a better you, but a writer of enviable clarity.

I often read other people's work and think, yeah, that's what I meant to say.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did misunderstand you Joel. I have a hard time tolerating those characters also. But I selfishly steer clear of overbearing fools no matter what their particular message. As for God speaking to us, He must chose to come to the most unworthy. But ever after they feel so blessed. BB