I can’t believe it’s September already. So my mind was drifting to music trivia – to songs with September in the lyrics. It’s not terribly hard to come up with some songs with “September” in the title. The following come to mind off the top, and there are probably dozens more…
Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day
September by Earth Wind and Fire
September Morn by Neil Diamond
September Grass by James Taylor
September by Jimmy Durante (Frank Sinatra?)
But I am more interested in songs that have September buried in the lyrics somewhere. I’ve heard one or two in the last week, in the car, and then I forget what…
Iris Dement’s mention of September in her song "My Life" has been on my mind. It sounds like a downer, but I read it, hear it, sort of in the spirit of the book of Ecclesiastes. Here is the verse where she mentions September:
My life, it don't count for nothing.
When I look at this world, I feel so small.
My life, it's only a season:
A passing September that no one will recall.
But I gave joy to my mother.
And I made my lover smile.
And I can give comfort to my friends when they're hurting.
And I can make it seem better for a while.
So, can any of you think of “September Songs,” whether it be title or lyrics buried in the song.
Oh, here’s a funny one. One friend said, "didn’t U-2 do an album called September?"
OK, well I thought that was funny.
Friday, September 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have always loved songs dedicated to the autumn. They all have just a touch of melancholy to them, but with the poignancy there is also contentment and quiet joyfulness for the memories past and the quiet restfulness that we all experience at this time of year; a time for reflection. I hope I die in the Fall of the year because I want my last memories of this life to be imbued with the beauty and glory and loving softness of Autumn when I have always felt closest to God. Bb
Amen to that David!
"Wake up Maggie there's something I've got to say to you. It's late September and I really should be back in school."
(quoting from my shaky memory) Rod Stewart, Maggie
Post a Comment