Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Photo of the Day - August 29, 2007 - Today's Fifty Year Olds in 1963



Here are today's 50 year olds as five or six year olds, myself included, at Saint Michael's Episcopal Church Kindergarten (or pre-school), Bridgewood Road, Columbia, SC, 1963. I love the clothes, the hairdo's, and the general goofiness of this picture. It's a great slice of life from a bygone era. I was fortunate that my Kindergarten class was only a couple of hundred yards away. My street was windy and hilly, and round the turn and up the hill was St. Michael's Episcopal Church. I thought I was really big stuff because I rode my bike to kindergarten! The same church also had several acres of "woods" that are still not developed, and which had a significant impact on my childhood - digging foxholes, climbing trees, hammering in two-by-four steps way up to the first limbs of very tall pines, digging tunnels, holding bike races, having various games of hide and seek and war, constructing paths for sledding, and so forth. The church also had a large field for baseball and tackle football games, and by the time I was in about middle school, had put in a full court slab of concrete and two sturdy basketball goals. I was really very fortunate. And of course there was the play ground, always open to the neighborhood kids.

Pierre Neuffer, bottom left, was probably my best friend in first and second grade. Most folks called him "Pete" but I always called him "Pierre." He died during high school while attending Cardinal Newman High School. He was a great guy and good athlete. We played on the same pony league baseball team. Win Williams is next to him and I think Lyn Floyd behind him. I see Ed Salters and David Dupree (I think) on the back row. Bob Moore is front row second from right. That's me third row back, third from right. Maybe the last time I buttoned the top button of a shirt!

No comments: