Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Photo of the Day - August 22, 2007 - Two Zinnias


I am feeling nostalgic for wetter summers when my garden looked better. This year's zinnia's got a late start and have struggled with the heat and dryness. So, I thought I'd post a photo from our butterfly garden from two summers ago. This is a fresh scan of a picture from the summer of 2005.

When I was a kid my grandmother "Nanny" got me interested in gardening. You can see very early photos of her amazing garden here. I started collecting and planting seeds from Nanny's plants, grafting camellias, and rooting azaleas from a young age. I think the first seeds I bought for myself were four o'clocks, which started a life long love of those flowers. They seemed to do better in Columbia than they do here. I think the next flower seeds I planted as a kid were zinnias. It was fun to collect seeds of both four o'clocks and zinnias and save them to the next season. I stored them in those little baby Dixie cups! Now I let the birds, mostly the goldfinches, eat the zinnia seeds, and the four o'clock seeds just fall as they may.

No comments: