Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Downtown Haze, Rain in North Greensboro

I was walking up South Elm Street yesterday (from the Green Bean back to my office), about 3:30 I think, and noticed the air. It's hard for me have a thought without wanting to write, and I was already composing a sentence with silly alliteration to describe it - "heavy humid haze hangs"....but my the time I got back to my office other things took front seat. Anyway, it was Columbiaesque outside, just not so hot. I was surprised today to read about the fire "down east" (as they say in these parts) bringing the smoky air back this way.

That itself would seem odd - a fire east of here effecting our air - but the storm in north Greensboro Thursday was similar. It was cool to watch from my office window. I could see the rain, the lightning, the ominous clouds drifting not west to east or south west to northeast, but east to west! I called home and yes, it was pouring they said. When I left the office not much later it was clear we had gotten creamed - Richland Creek was almost overflowing, trees were bent down from the weight of the water, many trees were split (hurray, a few more Bradford pears gone!), tree limbs of all kinds were down, and trash containers were strewn everywhere.

We have had three or four huge storms where we have been absolutely deluged by rain, and I have checked two days running and there has been no record of any rain at the airport. I would guess that we have had six inches more rain in the last month than they have had there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reckon you could pray some rain on my Northeast Greensboro garden?