Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Ann Coulter, Jews, and Christians

There are few people who speak less tactfully and more controversially than Ann Coulter, and I certainly don’t wish to be on her bandwagon. Over at the Daily Greensboring Beth has featured a very controversial quotation by Ann Coulter in an interview with Donny Deutsch.

I think the interview must have been connected to promotion/discussion of Coulter’s new book. In the course of the interview Coulter speaks about Christians as “perfected Jews” and says that Jews need to become Christians to be perfected as Jews. She uses language to the effect that Christians are “on the fast track,” whereas Jews “have to obey laws.”

Ann Coulter is no theologian, and not a very good popular speaker on the subject of Christianity. There are many things about what she says that are just not right. For example, Gentile Christians are certainly not perfected Jews. In the language of the New Testament, Gentile Christians may be thought of as “spiritual Jews,” or as the “true Israel of God.” And whereas that language may be irksome to Jews it doesn’t make Gentile Christians into perfected Jews.

And it also true that Christians see the Old Covenant as pointing to and being fulfilled by Jesus of Nazareth in his person and ministry. It is of the essence of Biblical Christianity that Jesus in his person and work is the fulfillment and completion of the Old Covenant. He is viewed as the promised "anointed one" or "Messiah" longed for by the Jews of Jesus' day. That’s what makes Christianity Christianity. Uh, "Christ" means "Messiah." Is this some sort of secret? Jews and Christians then, and Jews and Christians today, don’t agree about Jesus. Jews think Christians are wrong. Christians think Jews are wrong. Muslims think both are wrong. Duh.

The fact that Jews and Christians disagree about these things does not make any one of them anti the other in the sense of being “anti-Semitic” or “anti-Christian” or whatever, in the prejudicial sense of the word. It means that as neighbors and even as friends we disagree about ultimate issues. And that is fine.

What about ethnic Jews who become Christians? Yes, Christians would say that in a real sense that they are perfected. Remember that Christianity arose out of Judaism. Not only was Jesus but all the disciples and apostles were Jews. Christianity's roots were and are in the word, life, and history of the covenant between YHWH God and His people Israel. Thus, Christianity was from the beginning a kind of “Jewish cult,” claiming that in Jesus, its leader, a very big new thing was happening in the history of God and His people as a fulfillment of all that had come before.

If a person believes that Jesus of Nazareth is who the New Testament Bible says that he is, and that Jesus did what the Bible said that he did, then obviously Christians are right to want Jews to become Christians. Given that set of premises, that would be the right thing to desire.

And if those premises are not right, and Jesus isn’t who the New Testament says he is, then obviously Jews should be concerned for Christians whose leader (a Jew) would have been justly condemned for blaspheming their God.

It does not offend me one bit if a Jew in his heart of hearts is worried over my fate, since I would be in his eyes following after a false messiah and believing all sorts of terribly wrong things about God. I hope he would be worried for me. I hope he would try to convince me otherwise. He perhaps would and should want me to convert to Judaism. He should want me to do that, well, if he is Jewish because he thinks Judaism is true, rather than for some other reason.

Ann Coulter has a way of putting things that creates offense even if the content and intent of her words are not inherently offensive. I think her words are more shallow and kind of pathetic than anything.

For one thing, the idea of Christians “having a fast track” and Jews “having to obey rules” is simplistic beyond belief. Christian discipleship is grueling as well as joyful, and there are more than enough commandments right from Jesus’ own mouth to keep Christians striving their whole lives with all of their hearts to be obedient to Him. Rather, in New Testament terms, Christians would say that they are not (or are "no longer" if they are converted Jews) “under Torah.” They would say that even Jewish believers in Jesus are no longer “under Torah.” They would even say that Jews who become Christians must no longer be “under Torah.” This means that the Torah is no longer the operative center of the godly life, or of the Christian life – Jesus is. To submit to part of Torah would be to submit to it all, which puts the person back under the Torah’s curse, whereas, it is believed by Christians, Jesus suffered the covenant curse for His people (the Jews) and also opened up access to their God to Gentiles.

But you can see that these are nuanced and complex arguments. I could write volumes just trying to explain what this does and does not mean. To reduce this stuff to slogans (and bad slogans at that) as Ann Coulter does I find to be offensive to reason, to neighborliness, and to the seriousness of the issues.

But look, if you are a Jew, I think it would be totally appropriate for you to think that I, as a Christian, am wrong. That does not offend me. I hope that together we can stick up for each other’s rights for free assembly and free expression, for life and liberty and pursuit of happiness, even as me may otherwise disagree about these ultimate matters.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without claiming right or wrong, let's look at this (understanding that we're destined to disagree, but like to discuss and still remain friends):

"Rather, in New Testament terms, Christians would say that they are not (or are "no longer" if they are converted Jews) “under Torah.” They would say that even Jewish believers in Jesus are no longer “under Torah.” They would even say that Jews who become Christians must no longer be “under Torah.” This means that the Torah is no longer the operative center of the godly life, and of the Christian life – Jesus is. To submit to part of Torah would be to submit to it all, which puts the person back under the Torah’s curse..."

All I can say is, "wow." While you write under Torah, Jews live "in" the Torah. How disparaging a preposition can make a term seem!

In that same paragraph, you use the term "Torah's curse." You get another, "wow!" from me. I've never heard that term and yes, it makes me very uncomfortable. Can you explain a little more about what makes it a curse? I'm sure you understand that I don't understand and could use a little elucidation.

Joel Gillespie said...

Dear Sue,

I appreciate the manner in which you have written and will try to answer your question as best as I can. OK, I am not a practicing Jew and as a student I know a whole lot more about Judaism in the pre-Christian era and the first century than I know about it today. I meant the preposition in a rather technical sense. Obviously the word "in" suggests the beauty and joy and life inside Torah. "Under" speaks more to the obligations associated with Torah. In this case I was also using phraseology from from the New Testament. The difference between "under" and "in" is kind of like looking at the thing from two different angles. OK, by Torah I mean less the later rabbinical teachings and more the details of the Mosaic Covenant, both the five books of Moses and the Mosaic legislation, but also further insights from the writings and the prophets. The Mosaic covenant, a "bond" or a pact between Israel's God and Israel, included a ratification ceremony (what we call a "bond in blood" - Exodus 24), various promises on the part of the covenant Lord (Israel's G-d - I write the name as such now in respect to you, though I do not know your personal preference), Israel's obligation (the Mosaic "law"), and various blessings and cursings that will come according to whether Israel keeps the covenant stipulations. You can go to Leviticus 26 or Deuteronomy 28. When I say the "curse" of the Torah I mean the covenant cursings that were part of the Mosaic covenant, which included many things and resulted in exile. When I use the phrase "under Torah" I mean under the obligations of Torah, in covenant with G-d by way of the Mosaic law. The Christian, who sees Jesus as having fulfilled the obligations of the covenant of Moses, as well as the full wrath of the cursings, no longer believes Mosaic covenant in itself to be operative, but fulfilled in Jesus. So life "in Torah" has been replaced by life "in Jesus." That's what I mean by Torah no longer being the operative center of the godly life. The greatest tension within the early church was the tension between Jews who had believed in Jesus and Jews who had believed in Jesus. Did Gentile believers have to "become Jews" and be circumcised? Did they have to follow the ceremonial laws, or the laws that related to temple sacrifice. The answer was "no." Were those Jews who believed in Jesus still under obligation to be circumcised, obey the food laws, keep Jewish Sabbath, etc. And the answer was no. But it was more than no. It was stronger. To be circumcised meant that one was entering into covenant with Israel's G-d under the conditions of the Mosaic covenant. To do that meant being under the blessings/cursings of that same covenant. The Christian teaching (much like the teachign of many Jews of the day) was that Israel had basically failed and still lived under the covenant curse - was still in a real sense in exile - as was evidenced by control of their land by the pagan Romans. So, Christians who saw Jesus as Messiah also saw Him as fulfilling the obligations of the Mosaic covenant, and thus bringing it to a close in Himself. Now all people, including gentiles from every tribe and nation, could know Israel's G-d through faith in Jesus, His anointed. Such faith would mean looking to Jesus as prophet, king, and priest, and also as master and Lord - thus it includes serious obligations to follow him and do as he said. So, we as Christians follow the "law of Christ" which we believe has superseded the law of Moses. There is much that it is the same - much or most of the basic "moral" law (do not murder, etc). But there is much that is different. if this annoys you you can get a feel for why the Pharisees and other rabbi's didn't like Jesus very much. He made preposterous claims, as did his followers after him. Those claims undercut the core of what was precious to the Jew under Torah - temple, sabbath, circumcision, food regulations - all sorts of things. Well, I have to go now, but I can write more later if you wasn't me to address anything else.

Joel Gillespie said...

I said: The greatest tension within the early church was the tension between Jews who had believed in Jesus and Jews who had believed in Jesus.

I meant: The greatest tension within the early church was the tension between Jews who had believed in Jesus and Gentiles who had believed in Jesus.

Anonymous said...

"When I say the "curse" of the Torah I mean the covenant cursings that were part of the Mosaic covenant..."

OK, that's a great answer to what I asked (even if I don't agree, thanks for directly answering my question). Perhaps one of the biggest differences in our perception is that the way you describe Christian beliefs, there seems to be an almost intentional disregard for the blessings (there can be no good without evil; there can be no blessings without curses) that come from adhering to the spirit of why there are laws and the path to holiness that underlies all 613.

"You can be holy, for I the Lord your G-d am holy," is the summary of why Jews are commanded to be obey laws. [Lev:19 and other places] There's no obedience without understanding why and what the goal is (see Buber's Ten Rungs).

I think that's a big difference between our we interpret. It might be fun to do this over coffee one day at one of those coffee shops just down the street from your new downtown office!

Joel Gillespie said...

Sue,

Yes, that would be a good coffee conversation. The manner in which I spoke about covenant cursings and blessings had a very specific context having to do with how Christians understand Jesus in relationship to the Mosaic covenant. We share with you though (or I do, and folks I know do) the manner in which you understand living within and inside of G-d's blessing, and even how keeping the word of G-d, including different patterns of life, is blessing. In fact we read much of the very same Scriptures about blessing and containing commandments, the same Psalms, etc., in a similar way. I know this be3cause I use Jewish commentaries as well as Christian in my studies. I would read Psalm One with a very similar "psychology" of response I think, even if I look to its "completion" in Christ. Before, in this post, I was making kind of a technical argument about how Christians see the covenant blessings as being properly appropriated or now accessible, and that means not through "Torah" per se, but through Christ who is fulfillment of Torah. Obviously Jews and Christians have a different take on Jesus! But even "in Christ" there are many similar understandings about the word and about the commandments and the blessing of living therein. "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly." In fact, in the same place where we find the phrase "curse of the Torah" we also find it said that Jesus suffered covenant curse so that the blessings of Abraham could go forth to the gentiles. We as Christians have a strong self consciousness that as Christians we are recipients of the promised blessings to Abraham. It is of the central essence of our identity. Two little things. One, check out "A Rabbi Talks With Jesus" by Jacob Neusner and Donald Harman Akenson. It is an excellent Jewish critique of Jesus that comes closer to understanding what Jesus was saying than most Christians do! Ultimately Neusner must reject Jesus' claims, but he listens to them and takes them seriously. Pope Benedict also interacts with Neusner in his book "Jesus of Nazareth." It is a great example of good, respectful, and fruitful Jewish-Christian dialog. By the way, I have always felt uncomfortable in referring to Jewish people or of people who follow the Jewish religion as "Jews" because of all the baggage associated with that word historically. The word "feels" to me almost as if it would be caustic to hear. Is there a term that Jewish people would prefer Christians and others use?

Quigley said...

Thank you both for such a warm and gracious exchange. It was so nice to read.
Coulter is certainly no theologian and she's a very very poor apologist for her faith (which by the way is Roman Catholic). Her audacity in trivializing her faith and that of the host (her oneliner etc) even I found offensive - But most offensivewas her comment to his being offended "well you shouldn't be."
I guess it bothered me that she seemed so incapable on any empathy with Donnie. She seems consistantly to either not care about the feelings of her hearers of not to be able to connect with those feelings (psychopathology???) For me she's scary
As a follower of Yeshua, with advanced training in both theology and church history her knowledge, comments and attitude were depressingly familiar. I hate to seem pretentious but your garden variety christian is typically as ignorant and poorly spoken as Ms Coutler.
We are "grafted in" - not a replacement for - Brad Young PhD has some excellent insights.
Ms. Coulter shoukld stick to what she is qualified to comment/instruct on - at least until she can do competently.

Joel Gillespie said...

"I hate to seem pretentious but your garden variety Christian is typically as ignorant and poorly spoken as Ms Coutler."

Sadly, quigley, I must agree with you. It's one thing that many non Christians know so little about the Christian faith, it is another that Christians know so little about their faith. In the end, barring revival/renewal of some kind, this will render Christianity ever more irrelevant in our culture.

I appreciate your added insights on the Coulter-Deutsch exchange.

Anonymous said...

Jews, who do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah (ben David), would not try to convert anyone to Judaism out of concern for their soul. Jews do not believe that g-d requires gentiles to convert to Judaism to share in The World to Come. Observant Jews believe that gentiles must only follow the Laws of Noah. Gentiles can convert to Judaism, however, Jews do not actively seek converts.