Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Going Downtown

I was standing with a friend outside the Guilford Building at the corner of Washington and S. Elm, and taking in all the sounds and smells and people rushing to and fro, and thought, "This is going to be good."

We had just been looking at a small double office looking north on the fifth floor, and had had a great conversation with the owner/manager.

It was Bell South that got this whole thing started. My current three year lease with them ends at the end of the month, and we had to make a decision as to what to do about phone and internet service. Being a charter member of CABS (Citizens Against BellSouth) or now, CATNATT (Citizens Against "The New AT&T") may have contributed to an openness to look elsewhere, but mostly it was an unexpected call from my friend to come check out the place he had found.

I'm excited as I anticipate working and walking and eating and talking along Elm Street in Greensboro. I've been working by myself with few people around for a long time and that has contributed a bit to my malaise of late.

Though as the crow flies the Guilford Building is farther from my house than my present office, it's actually a closer drive, given the more direct route. And I may even be able to take a bus to work sometimes since the Depot is almost next door to the Guilford Building. There is a stop on Lawndale a couple of blocks from my house. I haven't ridden a city bus since Vancouver. Maybe I'll even ride my bike! Or get a scooter.

So, if any of you blogger folk are downtown, maybe I'll see you around.

Oh, and if you're wondering why I am posting today after my retirement Monday, I listened to Ed. I stepped back without feeling guilty (and have gotten more exercise - even started running), and today I had time and interest to post. My second flip flop this season. Oh well.

No comments: