Pages

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Photo of the Day - June 6, 2007 - Joyce Kilmer Wildflowers

I took this picture on a backpacking trip in Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock Wilderness Area a few years back. The photo pros don't seem to care much for this shot - no primary focus area, bland colors, lack of contrast, etc., but I have always been partial to it. Often when I am in the woods I like to sit down against a tree to take in my surroundings. I even have a way of slightly squinting my eyes to get a feel for the light and colors around me. I love to have a sense of my whole field of view filled with color, texture, and light. It is my way of perceiving what I think GM Hopkins was talking about in his concept of "inscape." This picture faithfully captures the inscape of that moment, and the collage effect of light and color. Plus I like the flowers.

Joyce Kilmer is an awesome place. If you ever have a couple of days for a weekend backpacking trip, this is a great place for it, a wonderful magical world with some amazingly huge trees, a grassy bald, a spur hike to an outcrop with a 360 degree view, and a beautiful forest. It's a place that would make its namesake proud. And it's in our state, barely!

To browse my Flickr site, go here.

Thanks,

Joel

2 comments:

Roch101 said...

Yes, an awesome place, indeed. One of my favorite parks in NC. Other-worldly in its serene majesty.

Anonymous said...

So what do phototogs know anyhow. This picture is the woods as they really appear at first sight before the eye focuses in on specifics. BB