Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Rachel - We Miss You


Today, September 16, 2009, would have been my niece Rachel Elizabeth Johnson's 25th birthday. It's hard not to imagine what she would have looked like, laughed like, acted like as a 25 year old yound lady. We miss you Rachel. This is a picture of Rachel and her mom, my sister Mary Johnson, in the surf on Hilton Head Island.

On February 9, 1987, two and a half year old Rachel died suddenly and unexpectedly from an overwhelming bacterial infection that mimicked the flu. Rachel's life touched many people, and deeply impacted everyone in my family. She was my parent's first grandchild. She was my sister and brother in law Mary and Sandy Johnson's first child. She preceded my own daughter Shannon into this world be a mere four weeks. Rachel was a fun and delightful and curious child. She was the apple of my parent's eye. I have dedicated this set of pictures to her precious memory. The world was a brighter place with Rachel in it. Even as a little child she had the love of God in her heart. I cannot sing Holy Holy Holy without thought of her little voice. We all miss you, Rachel.

3 comments:

emily said...

What a lovely tribute to her memory. I glanced at the flickr stream...so sweet.

Always fun to find familiar faces in blogland! I look forward to browsing your Greensboro local blog list :)

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice tribute Joel.

hiro said...

Nice to meet you.

I was going to paste the link without permission because I had very felt the interest for your blog.

Please link me with the blog if it is good.

URL:http://hiro-anniversary.blogspot.com/

E-mail:h-mori@ibs-office.com