Pages

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Twenty Five Most Influential Books

I was inspired to make this list after hearing something on NPR recently. Here is a list of twenty five books in alphabetical order that have most shaped my life and thinking. I am positive that as I ponder the list over time that I will make changes, but it's been good to rethink the various influences God has placed in my life. The list leans towards non fiction, but not exclusively. I'm reminded of the Bob Seger line "What to leave in, what to leave out." Surely there were books that had more impact that I have long forgotten, or never even realized had the impact. I have tried to make the list as honest as possible without regard to coolness factors or people's opinions. I'd like to see your list.

A Distant Grief by Kefa Sempangi

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Being Human - By Jerram Barrs and Ranald Macaulay

Brave New World by Alduous Huxley

Brothers Karamazov by Fydor Dostoevsky

Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe

Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God by J.I. Packer

George MacDonald: An Anthology: 365 Readings by CS Lewis

In the Beginning by Henri Blocher

Jesus and the Victory of God by NT Wright

Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict

Keep in Step with the Spirit by J.I Packer

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Perelandra by CS Lewis

Poems and Prose by Gerard Manley Hopkins (W. H. Gardner)

Small Is Beautiful by EF Schumacher

The Americans: The Colonial Experience - by Daniel Boorstin

The Art of Pastoring by David Hansen

The Christ of the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

The Gravedigger Files by Oz Guinness

The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah by Alfred Edersheim

The Mark of the Christian by Francis Schaeffer

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

No comments: