Pages

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Two Blessings in One Week - A Hanging Rock Sunset and a Bill Mallonee House Concert

I have been fortunate this week to have had two particularly blessed moments.

The first came Sunday as a group of us sat up at Hanging Rock watching the sun set over the Moore's Wall Ridge saddle. The day could not have been nicer, and the colors were the best I've seen in all these 19 years of goign to Hanging Rock. I said to my compadres, "No matter what else is going on in your life, or what your struggles are, this is a beautiful moment. We are sitting up here on an incredibly beautiful autumn day watching the sun set as friends who love one another, and nothing can take this away from us. Soak it in. We don't get to do this every day."

The second came Thursday evening at the apartment of Charlie and Ruth Jones on S Elm Street, where singer songwriter Bill Mallonee and his wife Muriah Rose did a house concert for 30-40 folks. One thing that made this event memorable was the manner in which Bill annotated his songs with stories and reflections on art. Several very familiar songs took on a new and deeper meaning for me. He sang all original songs except for the encore which was an early Neil Young song the name of which escapes me at the moment. I had for a moment a sense of being in a little hangout in Greenwich Village in 1963 or so listening to Bob Dylan. There were a few goose bump moments. I love good live music.

For Bill Mallonee fans - I can't remember the whole set list but off the top these songs come to mind:

Solar System
Nothing Like a Train
Cloth of Life
Skin
Flowers
Blister Soul
Resplendent
High and Lonesome

"Flowers" was the highlight for me, but it was all good.

No comments: