Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Greensboro Wiki

Early this week a Clemson student found some pictures on my Flikr site of Clemson in the mid 1970's. He made lots of neat comments. In one of the comments he made reference to ClemsonWiki, a site he had checked out to find out more about Issaqueena Dam, a favorite playground in my Clemson days. See the ClemsonWiki article about Issaqueena Dam here.

Anyway, poking around ClemsonWiki revived an idea I had floated a while back about us having a local Greensboro Wiki site. I had put a fair amount of time into our church sponsored site The Back Porch, but because (I think) of it being sponsored by our church, it was just really hard to find people to contribute articles and expertise to it.

I would love to be a part of a true community wiki site, and would gladly devote considerable time and effort to such an effort. I do NOT have the computer know how to set it up and maintain it though. I would be happy to serve, perhaps with a couple of others, on an oversight board, or maintenance group, or whatever they call it. There is this sentence on Clemson's site - "ClemsonWiki.com is currently maintained by C. mark Sublette, Evilphoenix, Darvian, Levine, 3toes, and Victor." I think you have to have a few folks to keep mischief away, like a flood of articles about the best local strippers, or articles in praise of the local Klan leaders, or just total nonsense. I am not sure how that is dealt with in Wikipedia but there must be some way to take out the trash. And there would need to be the computer software maintenance I am sure as well.

I looked up "GreensboroWiki" and it looks like the domain has lapsed. One could go with Triad Wiki or GuilfordWiki I suppose if not.

I think having such a site would be an asset to our community, and would draw in the expertise of a lot of people.

I am moving into a new phase of my work in my job and community and this is one project I would love to be a part of. I would gladly give ALL of my backporch.org content to it, whatever is deemed worthy, as we phase out that site (or not, if GreensboroWiki doesn't happen).

Anyone interested?

2 comments:

Don Moore said...

We talked a little about that at the Meet-Up Wednesday night (at the Main Library).

The problem is how to get the word out.

Joel Gillespie said...

Don,

That's an area where I think I can help a lot. I am willing to make a real effort on this if some others are as well,particularly some technical people.

Joel