Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Photo of the Day - April 30, 2007 - My Dad


This is a picture I took of my dad at the Gator Bowl, the one where Clemson got waxed by Pitt. Dad was a good egg to go down with me, diehard Tarheel fan that he was. Though I have many many pictures of him, this one just captures something about the essence of his person the best of all to me. Today, April 30, 2007, would have been my dad's 77th birthday. I know dad would have loved to have known and spoiled all his grandchildren, seen the first grandchild get married this summer, watch his sons hack around the golf course as they got older, paint his roses and camelias, agonize through a few more decades of Tarheel sports, and even go on long photo expeditions with his nature boy son. I so looked forward to moving back to Carolina after two years in Vancouver to be closer to Mom and Dad. Dad died unespectedly and suddenly while we were visiting Columbia just before we moved here to Greensboro. I think of the line in Mr. Bojangles..."After twenty years he still grieves...." Dad, I love you. I see you in my dreams. I miss you everyday. You were a good dad. You always supported me, even my wild haired schemes. I miss our long talks about life. Thank you for loving me.

In memory - Curtis Claunch Gillespie, Jr., b. April 30, 1930, d June 26, 1989.

You can see more pictures of Curtis Gillespie and his gang here.

1 comment:

Gus! said...

Hey! Its Kyle. I love your tribute to your dad. I am not really the mushy type but as I get older in life I recognized that at some point, my dad will not be around. And that kinda sucks.