Pages

Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Top Ten Beatles' Songs Not On “1.”

Whoa, this is hard. There are SO many. I think the list would change from day to day. Here is today’s list.

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

This is my favorite George Harrison song, though I can’t say I understand it. I do like the idea of randomly picking up a word or a phrase and building a song around it. I liked the regular version enough already with the Clapton lead, but recently I heard a more acoustic version on “Love” that includes more or different verses, and it is beautiful. I think I may like that version even better!

2. Because

I can’t decide if the whole medley on side 2 of Abbey Road should be considered as one song, so I have compromised and just chosen the first part of the medley, “Because.” Again, the acappella version on “Love” underlines the beauty of the harmonies, as well as the symmetry and simplicity of the lyrics, which for me has various levels of meaning. There is an ethereal quality that shows a side of the band I wish had had more time to develop.

3. Across the Universe

This is my all time favorite song about writing songs, and one of Lennon’s most poetically beautiful songs ever. They are to me a window into his heart – or shall I say his best self.

4. Rocky Raccoon

So many people find this song funny, yet, there is a pathos in the opening notes that pervades the song to me. It is a fun and silly story, but it also is sad, and it also raises lots of profound questions, all surrounding the Gideon Bible theme.

5. I Am the Walrus

OK, it is more a less a nonsense song, a medley of unfinished songs and silly phrases with all kinds of silly word play and heavy duty tripping out behind it, but musically it just appeals to me.

6. I Saw Her Standing There

This is a quintessential early Beatles song. Somehow the inherent energy of the song, the in-you-face rocking out beginning, survived the toned down editing of the early records, though there is a bootleg version that will blow your skin off. It reminds me that the Beatles were an incredible working band for years and years, and the world had not quite seen such a show of musical force.

7. A Day in the Life

A neat concept, sort of existential and all, a slice of life, a miscellaneous day, depicted in two ways, via the news and via personal experience. Great blend of two songs with complementary themes, plus all that orchestrated tension!

8. Revolution

What can I say, I love to crank this up as loud as my speakers will play it and ears stand it. I prefer the fast version. Maybe this song contains one of the few instances where I actually agree with John Lennon! There is a lot of wisdom in this song, and what a great guitar/drum opening!

9. If I Fell

OK, I grant, this maybe the most schmaltzy sounding of all Beatle’s songs, but the harmonies are beautiful, and the sentiment realistic. One can sense John’s fear all over and around this song.

10. I Me Mine

It sounds like a total smack down of the rest of the band to me, though Harrison said not. I think it’s just a groovy song, and pretty much expresses the narcissism of our day pretty well. Let It Be was actually the first Beatles album I bought with my own money – I was only 12 when they broke up – and I have always had a deep affection for it, Phil Spector notwithstanding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good list for the most part, Joel.

I would submit the following in addition to "Across the Universe", "A Day in the Life" and "Walrus":

1. Strawberry Fields Forever Absolutely the best Beatles song of them all.
2. Dear Prudence
3. She Said, She Said
4. Don't Let Me Down
5. Sexy Sadie
6. You're Gonna Lose That Girl
7. Nowhere Man
8. Here Comes The Sun
9. Tomorrow Never Knows
10. And Your Bird Can Sing

You are right, this is tough to do. There are just so many great songs.

Joel Gillespie said...

hey, the ca, it's tough man, I mean, as I've said, it's like deciding which rainbow or which sun set is the prettiest, plus, day to day I vary...I like your list too! I ALMOST included Don't Let Me Down instead of If I Fell, but the schmaltz won out. I almost also put Old Brown Shoe - just love that song, and Glass Onion...OK, I better stop.

Anonymous said...

You're almost better off just rating the albums, but that is very hard as well.

AP said...

LOVE the list. Like you, my list would change every day. Here's mine as of today, but concentrating on what I consider the most underrated and/or the best (relatively) hidden gems:

Here, There and Everywhere
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
Dear Prudence
Helter Skelter
Lovely Rita
Two of Us
I’ve Got a Feeling
Martha My Dear
I Call Your Name
I’ll Follow the Sun