Pages

Monday, February 26, 2007

Microsoft Code, Blogger, Iran, Gulliani, Islam, Roses, John Mayer

Last week I was asked by a reader for an opinion from the "other side" of the pulpit. I wrote out some thoughts in a text file and pasted them into Blogger. Despite pasting in from a text file, apparently there was still Microsoft code in the piece, which I think kept it from getting picked up by the aggregator. The 101 aggregator hates loose Microsoft code in Blogger. I've tried to get rid of it. If someone could tell me if they see this post it would help me.

My response to the invitation was as follows...

My pulpit opinions having to do with the kingdom of God don’t get much of an ear around here. And as a private citizen, I have no more voice or credibility or insight than anyone else. I am happy to tackle any thorny biblical/theological matter if asked, wearing my pastor hat. I am happy to opine on the state of things, with my pastor hat off.

I look forward to the Spring garden. I have lots of plans -- roses, new butterfly plants, lilies, maybe abelia. Of course the usual veggies.

I’ve spent a lot of spare time lately on my big genealogy and Flickr projects. That’s what has keep me quiet.

So, machine gun variety, some opinions:

We can’t just up and leave Iraq, no matter how or why we got there. The only reason to do so would be out of some perverse joy to see Muslim people slaughter each other. Well, maybe just being naive would be another reason.

If Iran won’t comply soon, someone will have to take her out – her weapons systems I mean. We simply cannot have Iran with the bomb. Under no circumstances can we let that happen. That would spark a nuclear race in the Middle East. That would threaten countless millions of people, and would ultimately kill thousands more Americans than would result in an attack soon and their retaliation.

We have to get unhooked on their oil. That needs to be a hugely serious effort. It has to include more than ethanol - but wind, solar, new types of batteries, new high tech hydraulics, and I think nuclear energy. Do Democrats and Republicans have the will to do this? I am not sure. Duh, we're funding the very people killing us!

I am so confused now about global warming I don't know what to believe anymore. But I do know that there are a hundred good reasons otherwise to clean up our air, and just doing that would take care of a lot of the warming problem right there (because it's not just about CO2) and solve other problems we're sure of in the process.

On immigration, particularly from Mexico, were I king, I would do two things. I would grant almost universal amnesty and fast track to citizenship to all illegal immigrants already here who are not criminals. I mean, are we going to kick them out? No. So why not just accept reality and embrace them. I would lock down the borders so tight, no matter how much money and manpower it took, that the flow would come to a trickle. I would criminalize the hiring of illegals. We cannot be Social Services for Mexico. Their leaders have squandered countless billions of dollars of oil revenues, they are corrupt, and they leave the poor people in squalor. They need to figure out their own mess.

On local stuff, I think the latest tape will prove hugely damaging to David Wray. I don’t care how nice he is. That was abuse of power.

On our local councils – what, are you kidding. They should make a comedy show out of us. Speaking of which, we have to do something about the real estate whores in our leadership so as to reduce sprawl, protect open spaces, single family neighborhoods, and everyday non affluent people.

We need to give students in terribly disfunctioning schools choice – vouchers.

Lee Street is a disgrace to the city. I hope we clean it up.

About taking to democracy to the Muslim world, I mean, is George Bush in idealistic la la land? Ok, maybe we can show that most Muslims want peace and stability and not suicide bombings. That's one thing. But a secular government is another. The very notion of a secular nation is contrary to Islam. Islam is fundamentally, at its core, theocratic. It would be like telling me I can only be a Christian on Sunday to tell a Muslim his government cannot be guided by Muslim law. It isn’t going to happen.

Turkey is an interesting experiment that may not last.

Secularization, and secular government are an affront to Islam. Nor does our secular materialistic sex drenched culture help matters. No wonder they hate us. Maybe if we hated us more things wouldn’t be so bad with us in the world! I mean by that hated our excesses, hated our gross materialism, hated the way we export so much smut. It’s no wonder...

And why do we wink at China’s oppression? Money. Money rules. It rules Democrats. It rules Republicans. But maybe we’re too far down that path to change it.

I am happy about the Honda plane deal.

On the upcoming elections. I think it will be Hillary against Rudy. It should be a dandy. If the Democrats keep looking the other way about Iran and the imminent danger she poses to Israel, us, and many others, I think Lieberman will jump to the Republican camp.

I’ve been groovin’ on John Mayer lately. I love “Continuum.” Oh, and my daughter and I are going to go see Norah Jones. I am so excited about that.

I have gotten a serious photography bug again. It is like a long lost friend come home.

I turn 50 this year. Wow.

Well, all for now.

Joel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel, I think you should send Roch an e-mail and ask him if he is seeing anything wrong with your RSS feed. I know I was having a lot of trouble with mine not validating until I got a site to check it myself. Then I have had to send an e-mail to get reinstated so to speak. It seems Fec had the same problem. You were gone so long people stopped coming by because they thought you had given up blogging. I just said to Heck with this! and DEMANDED that you write. Nothing shy about me. BB

Joel Gillespie said...

Brenda,

Greensboro101 did pick up the second installment of this because I cleaned all excess html code out of it. Their software has trouble with all the excess code Microsoft throws in. I thought I had gotten rid of that by importing a text only file, but I must have made a mistake. When I went back and checked it it was filled with html. As long as I keep it html clean then I'm OK. Yeah, I know, I'm a conflicted blogger. My heart has been elsewhere. We'll see what happens. I get very tired of arguing, but if I engage I will feel it necessary to sharpen my sword and go to it. I am conflicted over that, am in and out, thus why bother with me - I understand that totally. It's s jump in or jump our deal - dipping in your toes now and again does not cut it.