Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Goldfinches and Coneflowers (Photographs and Memories?)

What good are a bunch of dead and dried up Coneflower stalks and leftover flower pods? Well, just ask the four Goldfinches in my garden who can’t get enough of them. For days these guys have been feasting off the remains of my Coneflowers, Black Eyed Susans, and Zinnias. I haven’t wanted to trim the withering Zinnia flowers (which stimulates more flowers) because the little guys have been enjoying the seeds so much. I ran the water today in the garden – just let it run freely and puddle here and there – and that seemed to make the Goldfinches (and several other birds and bugs) quite happy as well. I wish I could get close enough without glass in between for a clear picture, but I will content myself with watching through the bedroom window for now. They seem to love the Coneflower pods the most, just a-plucking away at the seeds tucked down inside. It makes me happy watching – takes away some of the sadness of having three daughters going off to college this week. Oh, and I counted four growing watermelons, picked about a dozen tomatoes and several squash, and started collecting hand grenades too. No, I am not a terrorist; I’m just talking about those little black Four-O-Clock seeds. I’ve always loved them, and used to collect them in Dixie cups when I was a kid, each cup labeled by the color of the flower the seed came from. I really didn’t (and don’t) know how or if they cross pollinate, and how flower color is determined in Four-O-Clock fertilization, but I love the little black hand grenades anyway, and they will sprout if planted. Next year I have another place picked out just for more Four O’Clocks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Our garden is across from our patio so I have a lovely view out the sliding doors when sitting on the love seat with my morning coffee and newspaper. The birds always come in their own little groups and leave when another group comes. Except for the Humming Birds who visit all day long; we have 3 who come, but two of them fight so must be males. The naughty playful squirrels come later in the morning and it is okay as long as they stay in the garden, but I run them off the patio. In the late afternoon the doves visit. I never had a garden of my own, just house plants because they moved with me. It is nice, isn't it? BB