Pages

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Goodbye Pickler

Well, after the last two weeks I wasn’t surprised, but I hated to see Kelli Pickler leave last night. Yes, I even shed a tear. I have found her to be a breath of fresh air, not just of humble origins, but humble, and I wish for her a great future. She was just way out of her genre the last couple of weeks, and it showed. She’s not a BIG singer, but more of a Bonnie Raiit country rocker. I think she’ll find a home there.

I am continually astounded not only at my own interest in this year's American Idol phenomenon, but in the interest of so many people everywhere I go. I was leaving the doctor’s office a couple of weeks ago, and was at the check out window. There were maybe five or six ladies in the big room all processing info, some talking to people on the phone, some to patients. So I said in a loud voice, “So, who do you think is going off American Idol this week.” I mean their faces all lit up and they spun around and started talking at once – it was really fun, and even some of the other patients chimed in. It was really kind of cool. At the time the consensus was that it would end up being Chris and Mandisa, and that week Mandisa went off. Go figure.

I’ll miss Kellie. She was funny and spunky and not too self conscious. She lightened up the whole show. I wish her well. I’m pulling for Chris all the way now.

No comments: