OK, I am more or less settled in to my new office, and I have to make a public confession - I LOVE IT DOWNTOWN!
I have lived here in Greensboro for 18 years and frankly it has never felt like home for me. It's my kids' home, but not mine. I live here, I want the good of this city, but it's not MY city.
Every time I hear the train whistle as it crosses S. Elm (and what's with that little spur up to the New and Record - that's kind of cute. I can see that train right out my window. The other I have to open the fire escape door to see)., every time I look out my window at the cranes over the Old Wachovia Building, and every time I go out the front door onto the street, well, it feels like home. For the first time really. And that's kind of cool. I hope soon to stat posting pictures of downtown. And maybe David Wharton could give me an architectural tour!
I would move down here in a New York minute.
Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city,
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose? The lights are much brighter there...
You can forget all your troubles; forget all your cares, and go
Downtown -- things will be great when you're
Downtown -- you'll find a place for sure
Downtown -- everything's waiting for you
Tony Hatch 1964
Sung by Petula Clark
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Downtown is my "Tara". All rides begin and end with downtown. It only gets better. Sidney
Post a Comment