A few weeks back I posted a piece entitled My Passion. It was about my sense of calling as a person and as a Christian to the protection, preservation, and wise-use of God’s green earth. I’ll admit I felt sorry for myself a little in that I poured out my guts and hardly anyone said “boo,” which I guess tells me my place in the scheme of things here.
But over time private feedback has been coming in, mainly as people find my site and read the piece as a result of my being mentioned in an interview by Bill Moyers. He didn’t really quote me correctly, but I appreciate the attention.
There are many people who otherwise are more conservative in terms of political philosophy, or who are in the stream known as “social conservatives,” who for the most part are either conservative disenchanted Democrats, independents like myself (non aligned), or Republicans, who do indeed have a passionate concern for environmental issues such as species protection, habitat preservation, protection of air and water quality, simpler lifestyles, less consumption and more reuse of resources, etc.
There are many conservative Christian folk like myself who find that neither party represents their public policy concerns that arise out of a desire to see policy reflect love of neighbor, protection of the weak and poor, empowerment of local government, protection of the citizenry through strong police and military, etc.
Life contains contradictions and no political philosophy at least as embodied by the major players quite does it for all of us, and certainly not for me.
And as one who in generally conservative I understand how my environmental sensitivities may seem inconsistent, since environmental protection depends on strong proactive legislative action.
So be it.
Many Christian people with whom I otherwise agree on a range of issues do not see the significance of a stronger environmental policy and how that contributes to the well being both of the earth which we believe was created by God, mankind who suffers the ravages and injustices of environmental degradation, and the glory of the Creator Himself, whose honor is diminished as His world is defaced.
I am a member of several environmental organizations, but I think there is a need and a place for a local (Triad? NC? Carolina? I am not sure how local) organization of conservative Christian, Catholic, and Orthodox men and women who share as a common passion the care of this great planet we have been commissioned to oversee for the glory of God.
I see a need for an articulate voice aimed toward conservative evangelicals, Catholics, and Orthodox, men and women, in churches, in schools, and in public office.
I see a need for an educational movement aimed at, and presented as a service to, political and social conservatives - perhaps evangelical Christians in particular since they are the weakest on this issue. I am unwilling to see the care for God’s good earth totally co-opted by political liberals and mother earth pagans and Gaia theorists, etc. I am grateful for the way their work contributes to the care of the planet I believe was created by the God of Genesis 1, and the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and I am willing to work with them, but…they are generally NOT going to make much headway with social and political conservatives or get into evangelical churches.
Because of the lack of Evangelical and Christian voice, and because conservatives have given this issue over to more left leanign folk, in the end, the environment suffers, mankind suffers, and God’s glory suffers.
So, I wonder, would anybody care to comment on the idea of a conservative Christian environmental organization and its potential value to the environmental good of our world? I’d like to hear other opinions.
Friday, October 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
"And as one who is generally conservative I understand how my environmental sensitivities may seem inconsistent, since environmental protection depends on strong proactive legislative action."
What's the big deal. Don't conservative and conservation come from the same root. We should all conserve and protect our environment and our brothers and sisters.
Any Bible reading person can find many references to protecting the environment.
Diane,
Well, you'd think...but there is remarkable silence on environmental matters from conservatives in general and Evangelicals in particular, as if it is an untouchable subject. I'd like to be part of changing that.
The good news is that there seems to be a real groundswell of activity in recent months. You can find a link to numerous earthkeeping resources at http://www.emergentvillage.com/weblog/emergent-village-earthkeeping-a-conservation-conversation (not all conservative or evangelical, but many are). To that list, I would add the Evangelical Climate Initiative at http://www.christiansandclimate.org/, Christians for the Mountains at http://www.christiansforthemountains.org/ (this is getting closer to home for you), and a new book by J. Matthew Sleeth entitled "Serve God, Save the Planet" (see http://servegodsavetheplanet.org/). And if you missed Bill Moyers' PBS special called "Is God Green?" head over to http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonamerica/green/index.html
Blessings!
- Angela
"So, I wonder, would anybody care to comment on the idea of a conservative Christian environmental organization and its potential value to the environmental good of our world? I’d like to hear other opinions."
Joel, it's great to hear you say these things. There are lots of folks now in conservative and evangelical circles working this direction.
I offer my blogroll (www.evaneco.com) as a resource for you to track down folks in dozens of Christian ecology organizations that you might be able to plug into. There's also REP.org, Republicans for Environmental protection.
I had a chance to spend a week with Ed Brown, Tri Robinson, Cal DeWitt and a bunch of other green Christians up at Vineyard in Boise earlier this year, and can tell you that it's a blessing when God takes a passion like environmental stewardship and gives us the Holy Spirit so that we can put legs to this vision.
Look forward to talking with you more. I also took the liberty of dumping your blog into my blogroll (hope that was OK). Finally, I have an extra copy of "Serve God, Save the Planet" that Dr. Matt Sleeth's publisher sent me for a review. Email me at evaneco-at-gmail.com with an address and I'll shoot it to you.
Keep in touch.
Grace and peace,
Don Bosch
Managing Editor,
The Evangelical Ecologist Blog
evaneco.com
evaneco@gmail.com
Joel:
I'd be very interested in exploring the idea. Stewardship is very important to me and I think we need to reclaim some sensible ground inside the political party spectrum.
why is this subject treated as taboo... why is it untouchable? why so conservative?
Post a Comment