There has been much commentary around the blogosphere regarding Marcus Kindley’s comments about gays and pedophiles. One can check out Matt’s featured story on greensboro101.com, the debate over at Sue’s place, and the debate on Chip’s new Blogger site. I’m sure there is much being said elsewhere too.
Personally, I think Mr. Kindley’s comments were unhelpful and hurtful and politically stupid. It is a disservice to say the least to decent law abiding homosexual men and women to throw them in with pedophiles. And that is being said by someone who believes homosexuality to be morally wrong.
I actually agree with Matt. One can’t let such comments stand just because a bumbling blogger says them. I think an apology is in order. It would certainly be politically wise.
Having said all that, there is a legitimate danger of the issues of homosexuality and pedophilia being confused or conflated, and that danger rests in the “argument from desire” often used by homosexuals themselves.
I have always thought that such an argument does a disservice to homosexuals and to their moral/political goals.
There is this tendency to equate or not equate “sexual preference” with “desire.” As I said elsewhere…Sexuality determines desire....Desire determines sexuality...Words...What is sexuality (unless we're talking about gender confusion) if it does not include “desire” as a most fundamental component? To say that desire comes out of sexuality is to say that desire comes out of desire. It says nothing at all.
In the sense, everyone makes decisions all the time whether to be true to their "desires" or not. I happen to believe that most heterosexual men are inclined or "bent" to "spread their seed" far and wide. Most men have an insatiable desire for sexual variety. Every day involves decisions whether to act in thought or deed on those inclinations or not. Thus, as to our common experience of "heterosexual male sexuality," having many and multiple partners could be considered a defining aspect of our "sexuality." Monogamy could be considered downright unnatural. But whether we act in mind, heart, or deed on those desires is a choice involving whether we go against our base level "sexuality."
Add to this the fact two common experiences I have come up against on many occasions in counseling others.
First, many men because of having been abused sexually by males as children, have a confused libido. They have a base level sexuality such that they "get up" by anal and oral intercourse. They are drawn to homosexual pornography. This may be extremely distressing to a wife or a woman. The man may be fundamentally heterosexual, but it is hard for them to have appropriate non confused libido when it comes to sex with women. It is hard for them to “get up” for normal intercourse. The point is, their “sexuality,” in terms of what turns their sexual crank, should not be the defining issue when it comes to their sexual actions.
Second, many people who have "let fly" sexually, and have let down the walls and barriers through all kinds of group sexual encounters, find that any kind of sex will do just fine. This problem is often exacerbated by pornography. The point is that their desires are spread all over the map. Acting on sexual impulses even "against one's normal grain" actually changes that grain, changes one's "sexuality." Again, choice is always there.
The bottom like in that the arguments for homosexual sex based on desire or some vague notion of sexuality eventually become arguments for all kinds of sex. Ultimately we have to draw lines based on some sort of moral compass. and, corporately as to laws, on some sort of moral consensus. The argument rooted in "desire" takes away all such compasses. It is a bad argument for homosexuals because it takes away the dignity of their choices and opens them up to the very kind of comparisons as have been made by Mr. Kindley. It also makes them out to be children, non grown ups, people who cannot live counter to their desires. Much better to say one chooses to be homosexual in terms of one’s way of life. There is more dignity there. The argument rooted in "desire" is also a bad argument culturally because it leads quickly to moral and sexual anarchy, including, eventually, as we will see soon enough, to cultural acceptance of some forms of pedophilia. See the article on pedophilia in Wikepedia to get a glimpse of what might be next). It’s coming. The argument rooted in "desire" will help it get here.
.
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I have to disagree with you Jo-el. I think there is a real war going on politically and that Marcus nailed it. Someone politically has to make a stand.
Also, given your counselling experience regarding abuse and sexuality, I think it is fair to guard against gay pedophilia as adamantly as we do hetero pedophilia. And doesn't the Bible say that that people who engage in gay sex give their minds over to even worse perversions?
Chip,
There is indeed a political and a cultural war going on. I am and have been making a stand regarding the culture wars in particular. And I think Mr. Kindley is sensitive to the culture war issues. I am sympathetic to his perspective. Yes, he is trying to make a stand. But he blows it when he says things that are not smart or are inaccurate. Yes, we must guard against all sorts of pedophiles - homosexual or heterosexual. I think the homosexual lobby, despite what it wants to do, will actually usher in looser laws regarding pedophilia, such as exist in Europe. I don't know what more I could say to make that point. I think it is true that the gay rights agenda will serve the pedophilia agenda. I also think it is true that the argument from nature or desire ultimately legitimizes almost anything. And I think I know what Mr. Kindley was getting at. I think he was getting at something like the argument I make in this post. But he didn't get there, and what he said was not helpful. His wording was confusing. It is simply not true that all or most homosexuals are pedophiles, and it is not right to imply such even if such implication comes through sloppy wording, or to imply that the gay rights agenda includes a pedophilia agenda. The gay rights agenda will help the pedophilia agenda, and that should be of great concern.
Now look at what they're sayinng- seeSue's Place.
This explains why I quit getting posts from both of you on my rss feed. You guys changed on me without saying!
While I disagree with both on the whole gay debate, I have to agree with Joel. I know where Marcus was coming from and how he was trying to make a stand with conservative America, or in this case, Guilford County.
But if anything, the poor choice of wording hurt the party and him more than it did help. Perhaps he needs to hire Joel to help him choose less... volatile words. Not trying to put you in a spot there, Joel *laugh* but I find that you and Guarino choose your words very wisely when you step in the heat of any potentially ugly argument. From that, you have my utmost respect. I truly wish most conservatives would choose their wordings a lot more carefully. I think that it would definitely make it easier to swallow some of the cultural and political trauma we face.
Hopefully Chip realizes now, that I pick fights with him because 1) I'm pretty argumentatitve 2) I lean left, although I know exactly where Chip is coming from and 3) I'm still rather disturbed by that fencing picture. haha.
Chip, no hate here. But I do feel strongly about the things we disagree about. All love man, all love (well not man love. haha).
Darkmoon,
Thanks for the laugh. You're a good guy and a good sport.
But I am not volunteering to be Marcus's press manager, bless his heart. I'm not even a Republican. I am a prolife TREE HUGGER, remember.
Joel
But still!!!!
Yeah, I find contraversial things actually amusing. I usually don't participate, but I can't help but get drawn in just to be a butt about it.
I have known myself to actually argue stuff I don't believe in just for the sake of argument. Don't know why. Just amused.
I usually don't blog my opinions on contraversial stuff. Mainly because there's too much hissy fitting going on from both sides. The world would be a better place if you could divide it up so that 1 side goes here, and another goes here. There... go create your perfect utopia.
Unfortunately, we're all in this crazy ride together so we best get along. Truthfully, I don't think Vernon Robinson helps matters any either for the Republicans.
The good thing though is.. coming from Seattle, I'm at least enlightened that it's not all about NASCAR, beer drinking, and "tabacc'er." lol.
You know what's funny about the whole gay marriage thing? I'm not even gay. Don't know why I bother wasting my breath. haha. Oh yeah... reason 1. haha. Well, back to work.
Hi Joel,
You know, if it is a genuine concern that the advancement of homosexual rights might somehow make the world safer for pedophiles, I think a real and productive dialogue could be started. If it were "Let's get our laws right so that homosexuals have the same equality under the law as other people" and "Yes, but let's be careful to make sure we don't do anything that would make crimes against children easier" -- there would be swift progress toward common ground.
I don't buy it though. From what I'm reading, the "concern" about a degradation in the legal and cultural prohibitions against pedophilia are a red herring. Most people opposed to equal rights for homosexuals don't want to give an inch. They aren't really willing to consider, it seems to me, giving homosexuals equal rights even if all their other concerns could be allayed. That's because those other concerns are secondary; primarily, the main concern is that homosexuals not have equal rights -- a non-starter that will ensure the "war" continues.
Post a Comment