There has been much discussion of late about free speech on the campus of UNCG. I for one am an advocate of as much free speech as possible. I think even the improved policy is a far cry from what it should be at a University of all places.
However, the freedom to speak includes the freedom to speak rudely, and in some cases the freedom to hinder the speech of others. Just because speech and assembly are protected does not mean that the speech or assembly is always wise or kind.
Matt Hill recently wrote in his Anti-Gay Politicians Watch 5: UNCG Red State Day (and here too)about upcoming conservative speakers coming to speak at UNCG, many of them confessedly not too keen about the , many being, in Matt’s words, “negatively outspoken when it comes to LGBT issues.”
It seems that Matt addressed this forum in an appropriate manner, and for that I am thankful and respectful.
However, based on Melissa Westmoreland’s All's fair in war, I suppose, respect for others was just a bit too much for the Anti-War Coalition, a group which shares sympathies with the International Socialist Organization. I encourage you to take a look at Ms. Westmoreland’s piece, and the comments that follow.
The constitutional protrection of speech and assembly includes the protection of mean and silly speech. What kind of bugs me is why a group feels compelled to make noise and otherwise protest the free speech of others. I mean, is their intent, as in the State of the Union Protest downtown, to keep people from tuning in to the speech of others. Why can’t a group like the Anti-war Coalition let the other guys have their turn?
I was made to think all this on the way back from lunch. I turned on the radio to the opening chords of the Beatle’s “Revolution.” It made me think that maybe the anti-war coalition should have a listen. Maybe John Lennnon was on to something…
Revolution
You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can
But when you want money
for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
Ah
ah, ah, ah, ah, ah...
You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free you mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right
all right, all right, all right
all right, all right, all right
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the kind words about my actions at the Red State Day event. Feels good to hear some kind words in relation to the event ,because God knows how horrible I felt just knowing I had to keep my mouth shut during the majority of Vernon Robinson's rant.
I agree with you on the subject of the protest by the Anti-War Coalition (which has almost the exact same members as the Socialist group on campus). What they did was stupid and immature. I've had my run-ins with the AWC and the Socialists and not one of the people I have ever talked with is mature enough to know how to participate in polite or civil discourse.
You know... there were so many times when I just wanted to get up in the middle of Robinson's rant and give some sort of rebuttal or response to what I thought was nothing but ridiculous and ignorant political ploys... BUT I couldn't. And, unlike the protesters outside, me and ALL the other people opposed to the speakers or to Vernon Robinson specifically kept our mouths shut until it was time for the Q&A time.
Maybe UNCG should require a course in civility and discourse.
Mr. Gillespie,
It should be noted (to anyone who has simply read your post, read Melissa Westmoreland's, accepted the characterization of UNCG's AWC as fact, and then hasn't followed up on the recent clarifying commentary) that UNCG's Anti-War Coalition didn't call anyone names as previously reported.
Oops!
Post a Comment