I have been interested in the last few days about the massive demonstrations in France and here in the US. There are contrasts that interest me greatly.
It seems that in France that the youth have an incredible sense of entitlement. Maybe most everybody does.
On our front, we’re talking about protections and reasonable policies towards folks who generally don’t have that sense of entitlement, but who come here and work very hard. I realize I don’t understand what it may be like in border communities where local services are stretched to the breaking point by huge numbers of immigrants.
But, what I have seen, anecdotally, in immigrants from Mexico and other Central American places (discounting the drug network) is impressive. I see hard work. I see a passion and desire for a better life. I see a responsibility to help those back home.
Last year we have a plumbing disaster and ended up replacing the carpet in our house – long story. We bought the carpet through a local company, and the installers were hired out, and they were Mexican. I don’t know if legal or illegal. We don’t have a big house but we have a lot of stuff in it, and all that had to be moved of course, the carpet laid, and everything moved back. It was a huge job.
A crew of three came, an older man and two younger fellows about 20ish. They worked non stop from 8:30 Am to 8:30 PM. They did the whole job. Hardly took breaks. Don’t even know if they ate. They were nice and respectful, didn’t complain, and the younger guys were very respectful of the older, did what he asked, and he also taught them different things. It could not have been better. My response was, wow, are there many 20 year old kids I know who would work that hard?
I called the carpet company to find out how they were paid, and they told me, and it wasn’t much. It was legal and all, just not very much per hour, so I gave them a very big tip.
The thing with me is that I see people who are hungry to work hard, willing to work up, and desirous of building a better life. As far as I can see I think that is good for our community and good for our country, not that I desire to see them remain underpaid, because I don’t. But if you’re going to work harder and strive for better things, then come on over. That’s how I look at it. And if some college kid or anyone really can’t get a job because he won’t work hard, so be it.
I mean, the situation could not be more different than what is going on in France. If those French youth had been laying our carpet, they would probably have demanded twice the pay, meals provided, and no longer than a six hour work day.
This good people from Mexico and other countries are one reason we won’t go the way of Western Europe.
A for me, having so many Mexican and Central American neighbors has made me desire to learn Spanish. That is now life goal # 4.
So, let’s do right by these people, and be thankful for what they bring our way, in work, and in culture.
Joel
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A few things people dont realize about the Mexicans that come to work here in the US, as I have worked with a fdew as well. Thney are har workers, for a year or two. Then they realize that they cant be fired from a job like a resturant or Grocery store because the compant is afraid of a law suit. They could claim its racist, and boom, bad image for the company. Number two is the massive increase in DUI charges. In mexico, { And yes, I have been their,} No one cares about Drunk driving. Its almost a way of life. So they wont stop breaking the law when they get hear. They are already breaking the law by just being here anyway. 3 is the disease they bring, and the drain on our healthcare system. Have you been to the ER lately? 50-75% of the people there are mexicans, without health insurance. They think the ER is their personal doctor. Many in Mexico have disease which we in America have worked hard to get rid of. One group Authorities found in Arizona recently, had the Plague. They had to all be separated from the general Public, and couldn't be deported because Mexico didn't even want them back. So for those of you who think its great to get your lawn mowed, or your roof redone at a little cheaper rate, think of what its doing to this country as a whole in the long run.
Post a Comment