Pages

Friday, April 06, 2012

Happy Passover/Easter


Greetings Gardening Friends,

Just when you thought summer had already arrived - bang - a beautiful cold front arrives. I hope you get to enjoy the cool Spring weather this Easter weekend.

GM Hopkins had a wonderful take on Spring (see below). I like the fact that after his initial exultation he turns neither to majestic wilderness scenes nor to stunning gardens for his evidence of Spring's beauty and bounty, but to weeds, to birds' eggs and song, to pear tree blossoms and to the blue descending sky.

All this beauty is an echo stretching out through time from the deep past - an echo of that initial beauty of Eden's garden.

And then there is the darker side - this beauty is fragile, and always in danger of being soured by human actions. Human beings - uniquely able to speak of beauty and uniquely able to ruin it. I think there is an Easter message in there somewhere...

Which brings me back to gardening - after the poem...

Spring

GM Hopkins

NOTHING is so beautiful as spring—
When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;
Thrush’s eggs look little low heavens, and thrush
Through the echoing timber does so rinse and wring
The ear, it strikes like lightnings to hear him sing;
The glassy peartree leaves and blooms, they brush
The descending blue; that blue is all in a rush
With richness; the racing lambs too have fair their fling.

What is all this juice and all this joy?
A strain of the earth’s sweet being in the beginning
In Eden garden.—Have, get, before it cloy,
Before it cloud, Christ, lord, and sour with sinning,
Innocent mind and Mayday in girl and boy,
Most, O maid’s child, thy choice and worthy the winning.

I am blessed to be able to work in such beautiful places day to day. This work is good for me both physically and emotionally/spiritually and I am thankful to each and every person who has employed me and trusted me with a special place. I like plants as you know, especially trees, as well as the other critters that inhabit our garden spaces, spaces that are often filled not just with plants and animals but also memories, memories of loved ones who built and planted, or perhaps even children who played and climbed (or searched for Easter eggs) in the very same spaces. Sometimes the memories are of ourselves as children.

Our gardens are much more than plots and pieces of earth to manage well. The deeper joy of my work is to be able to help you find pleasure and joy and peace in your garden spaces. It is easy to feel anxiety and lose the joy of being outside when things are overgrown and overwhelming. The smile of pleasure and peace in a garden restored is my biggest reward. In our hectic, frazzled, frenetic, electronic world it is nice to have a space where we can just, you know, be...rest...notice...I hope I help bring that about.

There is so much that can be done in April - a great month for bringing order out of chaos. But I won't interrupt the mood of this e-mail with lists of things to do. For now I just want to wish you a blessed happy Easter/Passover. I hope you have a joyful weekend.

Peace,

Joel

No comments: