Pages

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Purple Rock - Badlands SD



I took this on a drive out to Vancouver in August 1980 with my dad. We had taken a detour off I-90 so as to go through the Badlands and we came up on a helicopter - an OLD looking helicopter - sitting on the dirt outside a little shack, with a sign advertising rides. He looked at me and I looked at him and he said "what the hell." So we pulled over. We walked into the shack and there was a very, well, worn looking woman, and she called for "Frank" or whatever his name was, and Frank came stumbling out of the back half asleep. "Want a ride," he said. My dad looked at me, and I looked at him, and he said "what the hell" (again). So Frank started up the chopper and off we went. It was way fun! Dad and I had a blast and got some good pictures too.

2 comments:

Melanie S said...

This is beautiful. Gotta love Mother Nature.

Brenda Bowers said...

I could not believe the Badlands! Of all the sights we saw in our 11 years thru North America the Badlands of South Dakota were awesome. (I hate to use that over used word but it is the only one that fits.) Wish I had had the opportunity to fly over them!