Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Twitter: From Mother Lode to Overload

So, I’ve been fiddling around with Twitter for a couple of months now. As I have come to understand how to use it better and search for people of similar interests I have discovered one of its more powerful features or attributes – a feature so powerful that I don’t yet know what to do with it. That feature? Twitter as a content provider!

For example I am following a lot of folks who are into various aspects of gardening. Not only do these gardeners share daily tasks (“Just finished harvesting the rhubarb”), but they share all sorts of links about every aspect of gardening imaginable. These links generally are to very thoughtful and informative Web sites or blog posts from which I can learn a lot. I have received
more of these than I can ever read!

The same goes for almost every other “topic” that I can think of. It’s like I’ve hit the mother lode of information, so much that I am suffering from information overload, and need to figure out a way, such as with third party apps, to save and categorize all this amazing information.
I ponder what this all means to how we think and work and gain information and expertise. But it is a remarkable phenomenon at any rate.

No comments: