Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I'm Pulling for Kris

Yes, Adam has a better voice and an incredible stage presence, but neither his voice nor his persona appeal to me particularly. And no, this has nothing to do with who is gay and who isn’t. If Kris were gay and Adam not and they sang exactly the same way I’d still pull for Kris. Adam has a world class voice. Unbelievable. But it doesn’t do anything for me. Mariah Carey has a world class voice, but it doesn’t do anything for me either. I prefer Iris Dement. Josh Groban has a world class voice, and I like him, but I’d rather listen to Jackson Browne. What I like about Kris is his talent for adapting songs and putting his particular stamp on them, from Bill Wither’s “Ain’t No Sunshine” to Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova’s “Falling Slowly” to Kanye West’s "Heartless.”

I expect Adam to win, and either way I wish them both the very best in their musical careers, but I’m pulling for Kris, and I look forward to buying his first record.

No comments: